November 9, 2010

Getting better or getting worse?

“Statistics shows that the number of crime this year decreased compared last year but how come most Filipinos feel that it is getting worse now?”

I heard this on a news program yesterday and I became curious and listen to the whole news. It states that the crime rate in the Philippines is lower than last year’s rate but since the type of violence of today is getting worse, people think that people are more prone to danger now. The following are the given examples:
  • The hostage-taking which was done to one person before is now a bus hostage-taking where more people’s lives are at risk.
  • Rape crime before is now in the form of gang rape.
  • The simple frat war before are now worsening which includes more dangerous acts from their members.

I am one of those who can really feel that the crime is worsening here in our country now. In fact, just few days ago, me and my friends were riding a jeepney when a man snatched the phone of a woman from the window of the jeepney. I saw everything that happened and felt really nervous during that time. I also felt sad for that woman who has lost her phone with just a blink of an eye. As I look at her, I know that she wanted to cry but she tried not to because she was in a public place and she was with nobody.

I know how the woman felt during that time since I’ve been through that situation too. My bag was slashed way back 2008 and I lost my phone too. That was my first time so I really cried my heart out when I knew what happened. The phone was a gift from my mom during my graduation in high school and that phone is very important to me but I lost it in just a snap. All these things flashed back on my mind when I saw what happened to the woman. Good thing, I was with my friend when that happened, unlike the woman whom the phone was snatched.

We are just few of those people who have experienced crime like this. We are also few of those many who did not reported the crime because we all know that nothing will happen even if we report it. We are also few of those who do not belong to the statistics that the news is giving us and I really feel bad about it.

It is sad that we all can see how these crimes happen nowadays. These only show that there are needs that aren’t given emphasis. Poverty is one of the reasons why all these things are happening. Government must really do something about this matter.

I will always believe that there are lots of choices on how to survive in this difficult life and that must NOT include doing any crime.

One more thing, to those who have something to share to those in need, let us be generous enough to share what we have. Remember that as we give, God will give us more than what we have given so never hesitate to share.



4 comments:

  1. na.experience ko rin pu 'to .. hindi ako nkuhaan .. pero ung filing na makita mu ung holdaper, one inch apart from you na may hawak na patalim , sobrang nkaka.trauma na . hayy ... etu nlng .. " Ang hindi na kayang gawan ng solusyon ng gobyerno ay kayang-kayang gawan ng paraan ng Diyos." ~ ♥

    GODBLESS everyone .. TENKS pu sa pag.share ATE MONICA .. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. many thanks leslie. tama ka. we can always pray for those people na sana maliwanagan ang isip nila. pero mas maganda sana kung gumagalaw din ang government natin. ang hirap na kasi talaga ng buhay eh! anyway, many thanks for reading this. you take care always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm,napanuod ko din yan sa news..mas nakakatakot nga nowadays kahit konti sya, imagine meron pang terrorist threat, hehe...pashare lng, hehe..during my 4th yr days nung college, naglalakad ako pauwe den nakita ko ung lalaki sa harap ko na hinoldap..den sa takot ko, tumakbo ako at sumakay ng tric, sa takot na yun ndi ko man lang nagawang humingi ng tulong sa iba..anyway,kelangan ng cooperation ng lahat not just only the government...ingat parate nics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. got your point mhe. nakakalungkot lang na sa mga ganun sitwasyon, wala talaga tayong magawa dahil sa takot. ibang iba na ang panahon ngayon noh? talagang kelangan natin na magkaroon ng cooperation para may magbago. hindi naman ata ganito dyan sa australia pero mag ingat ka pa din lagi. :)

    ReplyDelete